It is a good time now to consider the question “What is art?” as investment and career concerns have usurped the more profound communication traditionally found in works of Art.
Some thoughts on what Art might be, in order of their appearance:
1. We may know what art is, but we cannot say what it is.
2. To speak about what Art is, necessarily limits what Art can become as Art’s language is not verbal.
3. Art is a personal expression of the collective spirit. It reflects both the moment in which it is created and the continuum of human consciousness.
4. Art is the embodiment of the idea in the material; a thought-form that comes into being with the power to communicate through Time.
5. There are no new ideas in art, only new thought forms.
6. Art is a vision of Truth, opening a path that leads to recognition.
7. Art is a relative form of the absolute.
8. Art is indeterminate yet constantly seeking determination; it vanishes if it reaches the goal.
9. Art is not for nothing and not for anything either.
10. Art is.